HUG’s higher authority, the board of directors (BoD) is invested with wide-ranging powers to manage and define the healthcare policy, subject to the legislative – Grand Council (parliament) – and executive – Council of State – authorities of the Republic and canton of Geneva.
In 2016, this decision-making body sat ten times and dealt with 129 cases.
Within the framework of its work, it adopted :
- the 2015 accounts (including the trustee’s report) and the 2017 draft budget
- the 2017 annual equipment plan
- the 2017-2020 four-year financial plan
- the 2016-2019 service contract and the accompanying bill
- the consolidated matrix of institutional risks for 2016
- the annual agreed charge contracts
- the different structural changes to HUG’s organization chart
- the new regulations regarding the distribution of skills in terms of personnel management.
This board debated or considered the following matters in particular :
- the adult emergency department renovation and extension project
- psychiatric care in detention facilities
- staff safety in connection with the increase in violence
- transfer to the helicopter base
- the integration of the Joli-Mont and Montana Clinics
- the situation in several medical departments
- application of the labour law and the adjustments required by the Cantonal office of inspection and labour relations.
The following are members for the legislative period until 30 November 2018 :
- François Canonica, chair of the board of directors, Council of State representative
- Gabrielle Maulini, vice-chair, Grand Council representative (Ve)
- Olivier Sandoz, secretary of the board of directors, Council of State representative
- Mauro Poggia, State Councillor in charge of the employment, social affairs and health department
- Domenico Alborino, Council of State representative
- Navid Alizadeh, Council of State representative
- Michel Amaudruz, Grand Council representative (UDC) until 24 August 2016, then Marc Fuhrmann from 16 December 2016
- David Andenmatten, Grand Council representative (EAG)
- Frédéric Baldini, Grand Council representative (S)
- Ariane Blum Brunier, Council of State representative
- Solange Caillon, elected staff representative (SSP)
- Christian van Delden, elected staff representative (healthcare personnel list)
- Roger Golay, Grand Council representative (MCG)
- Guy Larmanjat, representative of Ain and Haute-Savoie Departmental Councils
- Pierre-François Leyvraz, Canton of Vaud representative
- Michel Matter, Canton of Geneva Association of Physicians representative
- Alain-Dominique Mauris, Grand Council representative (PLR)
- Roger Mayou, Council of State representative
- Daniela Neves, elected staff representative (SIT)
- Odette Saez, Grand Council representative (PDC).
The executive committee attends the board of directors’ meetings.