Illness can be a trying time, but at least you are not alone. Your doctor is with you all the way.
To best manage your health, it is important that you both collaborate.
And this depends on dialogue and good communication.
How can you avoid misunderstandings or avoiding key issues? What can you do to ensure that your doctor best meets your expectations? Where and how can you obtain good quality information? Why is it sometimes difficult to accept a particular treatment or operation? How can you feel more at ease in this relationship?
Take charge of your own health
By expressing your needs and saying how you feel and by giving your preferences and playing an active role in your treatment you contribute to improving the care you receive. Through the experience of your illness and the knowledge you have acquired, you can take better charge of your own health.
HUG works in partnership with the patient at every stage of their treatment, in all medical areas and also through other activities such as our research or even finding hotel accommodation.
This page should help you to communicate with those looking after you and have your say in decisions affecting you. It offers you advice on forging a relationship of trust with them and on making the most of your consultation time.
DID YOU KNOW ?
Are you a patient or a helper and want to help improve life in hospital? Then come to our meetings where you can share your point of view on issues such as patient comfort, the medical relationship or even on hospital services and logistics. The objective of these meetings is to find solutions adapted to the needs of everyone.
For more information : Patients Partenaires (FR)
- Questions - answers
- Whenever I see my doctor, I forget half the things I wanted to say. How can I do better?
- How can I improve relations with my doctor?
- I don’t always understand my doctor’s explanations. Should I mention this?
- I’ve just had bad news from my doctor and can’t quite take it in. Is this normal?
- Seeing all these specialists, I feel quite lost. Who can put me in the picture?
- My doctor is recommending changes in my lifestyle. How can I find the motivation for these?
- Resources and support structures
Download the brochure in PDF format
You and your doctor