Bd de la Cluse 30
1205 Genève

Begoña Martinez de Tejada Weber
Begoña Martinez de Tejada Weber
Médecin-cheffe de service

Your pregnancy has started. You can now start all the formalities related to your pregnancy and the upcoming birth of your child.

Inform your employer

Announcing your pregnancy to your employer enables him/her to take all necessary measures to adjust your working hours (night shifts) or your work station in order to protect your health and that of your baby’s.

Don’t forget to ask your midwife or doctor for the OProMA form that helps your employer assess your professional tasks.

For any question on working when pregnant

Contact a midwife

At the end of your second trimester (6 months), we recommend you choose the midwife who will provide you with home support after the birth and to communicate her details to the medical team at HUG.

To find an independent midwife

Contact a paediatrician

Contact your child’s future paediatrician as early as the end of the second trimester. When your child is born, book an appointment as soon as possible, but no later than the end of the first month.

To find a paediatrician

Insure your child

Parents have a period of three months after the birth of their child to register their baby with the national health insurance. The child will be retroactively insured from the day he/she is born. Nevertheless, you can start formalities with an insurance company during your pregnancy.

Find a childcare solution

You work and plan on having your child looked after at the end of your maternity leave? Nurseries and day-care centres are very much sought after. We therefore recommend you start registration formalities as early as possible. To enrol, contact your local council or, if you reside in Geneva, the Geneva Infant Information Bureau (BIPE - Bureau d’Information Petite Enfance).

Last update : 16/05/2019