Mastitis is inflammation of the mammary glands or breast tissues.
These are the signs of mastitis:
- sensitivity in a specific area of the breast
- hot, red area on the breast
- general feeling of being unwell
- symptoms similar to those of the flu
- Breastfeeding and/or frequent expressing to relieve congestion and stimulate milk flow
- Breast massage, especially in the area concerned (technical sheets - massage techniques)
- Heat packs before nursing to encourage ejection
- Medication may be necessary - consult a health professional.