Mission of the Infection Prevention and Control Division
The Infection Prevention and Control Division is responsible for the control and prevention of infections and reservoirs of drug-resistant microorganisms in hospitals. Preventing the risk of infection applies to patients, visitors and staff.
The main missions of this activity are:
- monitoring and prevention of hospital infections, also known as nosocomial or care-related, endemic infections;
- detection, investigation, correction and prevention of epidemic infections;
- control of resistance to and the use of anti-infectious agents, with regard to multi-drug-resistant microorganisms;
- training, teaching and educating medical and health care personnel in the field;
- resolution of hospital hygiene problems by tailoring recommendations to the specific characteristics of sectors;
- improving quality of care and medical/health care and technical procedures with regard to the risk of infection;
- applied research and the development of preventive measures;
- promoting quality of care and professional knowledge applied to the field of infection prevention.
The IPCD also has a consulting service that extends to the environment and building hygiene sector.