Mission of the DIAfit Program
DIAfit is a national exercise training program for people affected by type 2 diabetes. People with diabetes have a high risk of developing cardiovascular complications, as well as kidney and eye diseases.
Regular physical activity has a beneficial effect on these complications and favorably affects the progression of the diabetes. It constitutes a pillar of treatment of type 2 diabetes.
The main objectives
- Learn to perform suitable physical activities- Acquire the skills necessary to better control blood sugar- Improve management of risks related to diabetes- Gain confidence and develop skills for long-term physical activity- Meet other people with diabetes to support each other
The program is sponsored by the Société Suisse d’Endocrinologie et de Diabétologie [Swiss Endocrinology and Diabetology Society] (SSED) and is supported by the Association Suisse du Diabète [Swiss Diabetes Association](ASD) and the Fondation pour l’amélioration de la qualité de vie des patients chroniques [Foundation for the Improvement of the Quality of Life of Patients with Chronic Diseases].
The DIAfit program is covered by basic insurance (LAMal) after deductible and co-pay (10% of the costs).
- An initial consultation by the DIAfit physician to verify that you are eligible for this program.
- 36 activity sessions over 3 months at a rate of 3x/week (aquagym, nordic walking and gym activities).
- Multiple workshops on topics specific to diabetes.
- Clinical assessments 2 to 3 times during the program (biological parameters, motivation, physical condition).
The program is supervised by a specialized team whose members are all accredited for this national program.