The date of your discharge is decided by agreement with your doctor. It is planned with you, to help your return to everyday life.
Getting ready to leave
See the discharge checklist according to your place of care :
Leaving against medical advice *
You are free to leave the hospital at any time. If you take this decision against medical advice after having been made aware or the risks you run, you shall be liable for this.
(*) Psychiatric Hospital operates differently
Your discharge letter
A medical report will be sent to your general practitioner in the form of a discharge letter. Unless you request otherwise, it is sent to the doctor who referred you to hospital. You may request a copy.
Before leaving hospital, please do not forget to collect :
- your personal possessions
- any x-rays you brought with you
- any valuables (money, jewelry) that you deposited in the cash office according to your place of care
- your personal medication if you gave them to the care team.
The canton of Geneva possesses a wide domiciliary care and support network offering a wide variety of services, including housekeeping and home delivery of meals. Ask a member of the nursing staff for more information.
* The medical and nursing team coordinates with the liaison nurses or the Social Services Department the services to be put in place on your return.
(*) Only for the Loëx Hospital