Illness and the effects of certain treatments often make visible changes to one’s physique. Chemotherapy may make your skin and nails fragile.
Such side-effects can affect your morale and your well-being.
During the anti-cancer treatment your skin will become more fragile, drier and more sensitive to sunlight and to strong lighting.
- Protect your skin by applying a moisturizing cream each day. Your care team will advise you what product to choose.
- As far as possible avoid exposure to the sun. Use a sun cream with a high sun protection factor even if you stay in the shade. Apply it 30 minutes before going out.
- Before you apply a cream, get into the way of testing it on a small area of your skin. Then wait 24 hours to assess any reactions.
- Modify your usual make-up, choosing warm tones. You will look better.
The sun’s rays include UVA and UVB. The figure appearing on the tube of cream – the SPF or sun protection factor – only indicates the protection provided against UVB. For total sun protection, choose a cream marked ‘broad spectrum’ or indicating UVA + UVB. Quality products at low prices do exist. An SPF of 30 stops 97% of the UVB rays; for total protection go for SPF 50. Choose a formula that suits you, as you are advised to re-apply it frequently.
- In some cases your nails change their characteristics. They can become discoloured or brittle or split or break. Report any infection, mycosis or any little wounds especially around the nail.
- Use a nail polish remover without acetone.
- Moisturise the skin surrounding your nails daily.
- Nail hardening products should be applied with care, from the middle of the nail to the extremity, without covering the half-moon, particularly if your nails are splitting.
+ ALSO AVAILABLE
Once a month at the HUG, make-up workshops for women are organized by the Foundation Look Good Feel Better.
Information on www.lgfb.ch (DE)
The Association Bonne mine, bon moral [Appearance good, morale good too] offers facial care and esthetic advice for men and women.
Information on www.lgc.ch (FR)
The Ligue Suisse contre le cancer brochure
Soigner son apparence durant et après la thérapie [Taking care of your appearance during and after therapy]