Origins of the Clinic

Share Print

Avenue Trembley 45
1209 Genève

Les origines de la clinique

Through notarial act on September 23, 1876, and in memory of her late father, Baron Anselm von Rothschild, Baroness Caroline Julie von Rothschild, wife of Baron Adolphe Carl von Rothschild, founded a charitable organization for incurables and convalescents.

The building was built in 1878, on a plot of about 35,000 m2 granted by the State of Geneva, in the former municipality of Petit-Saconnex. Its doors opened in July 1880 and it welcomed all citizens of Geneva, regardless of origin or religion. The General Hospice which, at that time, managed the sick, administered it until the end of 1900.

Starting on January 1, 1901, in accordance with the Law on the Organization of Medical Welfare, the facility was placed under the management of the Department of Welfare. That year, the staff of the Convalescent Hospice, in addition to the director, consisted of two nurses, a cook, an assistant cook, and a gardener. The facility then had 50 beds.

From Convalescent Hospice to Convalescent Home, the building has continually adapted its structures to the specific needs of patients, to finally be medicalized in 1985 and become the “Joli-Mont Clinic,” a 98-bed public medical facility with legal status.

On July 1, 2016, the Joli-Mont Clinic was placed under the Department of Rehabilitation and Geriatrics of the Geneva University Hospitals (HUG).

Last update : 28/02/2019